Beef Pot Roast with Aspall Cyder Vinegar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 140°C / Gas Mark 1.
2. Coat the pieces of meat in seasoned flour.
3. In an ovenproof casserole pan, brown the meat in a little rapeseed oil over a medium to high heat until it has coloured on all sides then remove to a plate (you may need to do this in batches).
4. Cook the onion in the same pan until soft and light brown, adding a little more oil if necessary. Add the cinnamon and cloves at the end for about 1 minute.
5. Add the tomato paste, molasses, Aspall Cyder Vinegar and enough stout to allow the thick molasses and tomato paste to mix together until smooth, then add your meat back to the pan along with the potatoes, celery and carrots.
6. Add the rest of the stout and the bay leaf. Stir to mix everything together and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to the oven for 3 hours 30 minutes.
7. If the sauce is too thin, thicken with a little flour/ water mixture and simmer to thicken further. Serve with steamed broccoli.