Spiced Apple Shrub
A classic shrub, the natural sweetness of apples combine beautifully with the delightful tang of organic cyder vinegar. Add to this spicy hints and overtones from coriander seeds and star anise and you have a combination that’s pretty hard to beat.
- Core the apples, shred or dice.
- Place the apple in a saucepan and add the coriander seeds, star anise and Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar.
- Gently warm through but do not boil.
- Transfer to airtight container and store in a cool dark place to macerate (leave to infuse) for a minimum of 5 days.
- After 5 days, strain the contents through a sieve into a saucepan.
- Gently warm and add half the sugar – add more to taste if required.
- Strain through muslin if preferred
- Decant in to sterilised bottle and store in fridge. The shrub should store for 6-8 weeks.
- To serve: Shake before serving. Use a hiball glass filled with ice, add 40ml shrub and top up with sparkling water or soda.
Watch our video How to make a vinegar shrub - Spiced Apple for a step by step guide.