Serves: 10-12. Preparation: 30 minutes. Cooking time: 3.5 hours
- 1.5 kg Beef Brisket or Chuck
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 500g carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and diced into servable sizes
- 1 tbsp (20ml) Rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp (20ml) Aspall Cyder Vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp black pepper, fresh ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- ¼ tsp cloves, ground
- 1 tbsp (20ml) dark molasses
- ½ pint (275 ml) stout
- 2 tbsp (40 ml) Tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- Plain flour to thicken
- Salt to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 140˚C (Gas Mark 1)
1. Coat the meat in a mixture of flour, salt and black pepper and remove to a dish for pot roasting.
2. Brown the onion in a little rapeseed oil, adding the cinnamon and cloves at the end for about 1 minute.
3. Add the tomato paste, molasses, cyder vinegar and enough stout to allow the thick molasses and tomato paste to mix together until smooth, then pour over the meat.
4. Add the rest of the stout and the bay leaves, cover and allow to braise on a low heat for 3 hours.
5. Remove from the oven and add the celery and carrots.
6. Return to the oven and cook until the vegetables are tender.
7. Thicken the sauce with a little flour/water mixture if necessary.
8. Serve with boiled potatoes or you can put the potatoes in the pot with the carrots and celery.