Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 2 onions
- 1 red onion
- 50g butter
- 2tbsp clear honey
- 2tbsp Aspall Apple Balsamic Vinegar
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 250g ready-rolled puff pastry
- Flour, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Cut the onions into wedges. Melt the butter in a 20cm ovenproof frying pan.
3. Add the onions to the pan and fry for about five minutes, turning once or twice until just brown.
4. Add the honey and Aspall Apple Balsamic Vinegar and cook for five more minutes, shaking the pan so that the onions move around and don’t stick. After five minutes, arrange the onions so that they lie nicely in the pan.
5. Now remove from the heat, add the thyme stems and season well with salt and pepper. Leave to cool.
6. Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and cut out a circle slightly larger than the frying pan. Lift the pastry over the onions and tuck the edges down the sides of the pan. Make a little cross in the pastry centre.
7. Put the whole pan in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes until the pastry has risen. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for five minutes.
8. Loosen the edge of the pastry with a knife and give the pan a shake. Now cover the pan with a plate, then carefully invert it so that the tart is turned out on your plate.
9. Serve warm or cold.