Not all chutneys need storing for months before you use them this one is delicious warm from the pan but any leftovers will keep nicely, in the fridge , for a couple of weeks.
Do use good sausages made from British free range pork they’re well worth the extra cost.
- 450g pork sausages
- Chutney: 450g red skinned plums
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- Fresh root ginger, ½ inch in size, peeled and grated
- zest of a lemon and an orange
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 115 ml Organic Cyder Vinegar
- 60g un-refined sugar
1. Quarter the plums and remove the stones.
2. Heat the oil in a small saucepan and fry the shallot until it changes colour.
3. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further minute. Now add the plums, sugar, zest salt and vinegar.
4. Bring the mixture up to boiling point and simmer until the plums are soft and the mixture quite thick. Allow to cool.
5. While the chutney is cooking, grill the sausages under a moderate grill, turning from time to time until well coloured and cooked through.
6. Some mashed potatoes would be delicious with this dish