Serves: 6-8. Preparation time: 15 minutes and leave overnight to marinade.
Cooking time: up to 2 hours
- 1kg/2lbs red cabbage – shred finely and remove tough stalk
- 100ml/4 floz Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar
- 100ml/4floz Aspall English Apple Juice
- 100ml/4floz red wine
- 1 tbspn soft brown sugar
- 1 tspn grated lemon zest
- 1 cooking apple grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried cranberries
- Pinch of cinnamon ; Pinch of allspice ; 5 cloves
- Olive Oil
- 1 medium red onion finely sliced
A Chevallier family classic.
1. Mix together all the ingredients expect the oil and onion in a large container.
2. Season with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper.
3. Cover and leave overnight.
4. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180 c/Gas 4.
5. Slowly cook the sliced red onion in olive oil until soft in an ovenproof casserole.
6. Add the marinated cabbage mixture and cook until gently simmering on the stove then place in the oven to cook for about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
7. The mixture can be frozen and reheated and is excellent served with roasts.