This browned butter sauce is most commonly served with skate. Here we’ve used everyone’s favourite fish, Cod. Pollock and haddock also both work well in this recipe.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 x 175g cod steaks
- Salt and Pepper
- 110g butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon Aspall White Wine Vinegar
Heat the oven to 180c/ gas mark 4
1. Butter 4 x 10 inch squares of foil place a piece of cod in each one, season lightly.
2. Place these on a baking sheet and put them into the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile melt the butter in a deep sided frying pan.
4. Once the butter has melted if will begin to foam. At first this foam will be noisy then quiet and frothy.
5. Once the butter quietens down it will start to brown watch carefully stirring from time to time.
6. Once the butter solids in the bottom of the pan and becomes conker brown turn off the heat and carefully pour in the vinegar. The sauce will foam up then settle down. Add the capers.
7. Take the fish from the oven and open the parcels. Spoon a little butter into each one and serve at once with crushed new potatoes.