Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 4 medium red onions
- 4 tbspns soft brown sugar
- 4 tbspns Aspall Organic red wine Vinegar
- Slab of ready made puff pastry
- 250g/8oz Mascapone cheese
- 2 tbspn crème fraiche
- 1 egg beaten
- Fresh Thyme
- Freshly ground Sea salt and black pepper
Preheat oven to 180°c Gas mark 4.
1. Slice the red onions thinly and place on a baking sheet
2. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons each of Aspall Red Wine Vinegar and sugar.
3. Toss lightly and place in oven to cook until soft and gently caramelised.
4. Toss during cooking to prevent burning.
5. Remove from oven and increase heat to 190 c Gas 5
6. Roll out one slab of puff pastry to line a lightly greased rectangular shallow baking dish or tin (12x7 inch approx)
7. Roll out slightly larger than the tin and press half the onions into the centre.
8. Mix the mascarpone & crème fraiche with the beaten egg & pour over onions. 9. Add the remaining onions and sprinkle with fresh thyme sprigs, season with ground black pepper and sea salt.
10. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. Serve with green salad.