Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 – 25 minutes
- 4 turkey steaks, about 6oz (170g) each
- 4oz (113g) pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 medium to large Bramley apple, cored and diced
- 1 wine glass (125ml) Aspall Premier Cru Cyder
- 2 tbsp (40ml) Organic Cyder Vinegar
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2oz (56g) butter
- 1 tbsp (20ml) olive oil
- 3 tsp (15ml) honey
- 5 tbsp (100ml) single cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. If the turkey steaks are too thick, place between layers of greaseproof paper and gently flatten them using the base of a saucepan until they are the thickness of a veal escalope.
2. Gently heat half the olive oil and fry the onions and pancetta until they have just started to brown.
3. Add the apple and continue cooking for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Now add the butter and when melted, turn up the heat and add the honey, stirring well until the apple has been caramelised; this should take about a minute. Do not allow to burn.
5. Remove the onion, pancetta and apple from the pan and keep warm.
6. Now add the remaining olive oil to the pan and fry the turkey steaks on a medium to high heat for 1 minute a side to enable them to brown nicely.
7. Add the Cyder and Organic Cyder Vinegar, turn up the heat and allow the liquid to cook the meat through whilst reducing in volume.
8. When the liquid has just started to become syrupy, add back the cooked onion, pancetta and apple, turn down the heat and add the single cream a little at a time whilst stirring in order to avoid vigorous boiling.
9. When the cream has been added, taste the sauce and add fresh ground black pepper and (if necessary) salt.
10. Serve with rice or mashed potato and seasonal vegetables.