Preparation: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
- 4 whole chicken legs
- 4 thick rashers unsmoked streaky bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Salt (to taste) and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (40ml) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tin (14oz) chopped Italian tomatoes (with no added herbs or spices)
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 generous handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 150ml good quality low-salt chicken stock
- 3 tbsp (60ml) Aspall Cyder Vinegar
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4)
1. In a bowl, mix the chicken with the flour to provide a light coating and set aside
2. Gently fry the onions in half the olive oil until they start to brown, then remove to a pre-heated casserole dish.
3. Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan, brown the bacon for a couple of minutes, then add the chicken pieces and continue browning slowly.
4. When the bacon and chicken have achieved a good mid-brown colour, add the garlic and continue to brown for another minute before transferring the contents of the pan to the casserole dish.
5. Add the cyder vinegar to de-glaze the pan, stir well, increase the heat and boil to reduce to a syrupy liquid before turning down the heat and adding the tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring back to the boil and transfer to the casserole dish.
6. Place the covered casserole dish in the oven and cook for 50 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and add the yellow peppers and chopped basil.
8. Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
9. Just before serving, check the seasoning and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
10. Serve with rice and seasonal green vegetables.