Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
- 4oz (112g) Puy lentils, cooked as directed on the packet
- 1 large aubergine, sliced thinly, 1 red and 1 green pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced thinly, 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp (40ml) tomato purée, 1 tsp vegetable stock powder, low salt
- 170ml Aspall Premier Cru Cyder, 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 115ml natural yoghurt, 115ml ricotta, 4 medium sized eggs, 4 tbsp parmesan, grated, Nutmeg, freshly grated
Preheat the oven to 180˚C
1. Cook the lentils according to the instructions on the packet.
2. Fry the aubergine slices in olive oil until softened then remove from the pan and keep warm.
3. Add the peppers and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
4. Add the Cyder, tomato purée, parsley and cinnamon then stir in the cooked lentils.
5. Sprinkle on the vegetable stock powder and simmer for 5 minutes and season to taste.
6. For the topping, beat the eggs together with the yoghurt and ricotta and season to taste.
7. Transfer the filling, excluding the aubergines, into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with parsley and then place the slices of cooked aubergines to form a layer over the filling.
8. Pour on the topping followed by an even sprinkling of the parmesan.
9. Finally, grate a little nutmeg over the topping and put the dish in the oven to cook for 30 to 40 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden.