Serves: 6 - 8
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 – 2 ¼ hours
Pre heat the oven to 230˚C (Gas Mark 8)
- 2.75 kg/6lb leg of lamb
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- A few sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pint water or white wine
- 200ml Aspall Organic Balsamic Vinegar
1. Trim any excess fat from the lamb than using a sharp knife insert slivers of garlic and a few rosemary leaves into the flesh.
2. Place in a roasting dish drizzle with the oil and wine and season.
3. Place the lamb into the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes. Now baste the meat well and lower to 200˚C (Gas Mark 6) and continue to cook. Pink lamb will need 1 hour 40 minutes, better cooked about 2 hours.
4. Meanwhile place the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and simmer it until it has reduced by about two thirds. The vinegar should become quite thick and sticky.
5. About 30 minutes before the meat is cooked brush the vinegar over the meat, continue cooking, brushing about twice more with the balsamic. Remove the meat from the oven and allow to sit in a warm place for 15 minutes before serving.
6. Serve with roast new potatoes and minted peas