1. Start by preparing the vegetables. Peel the beetroot, onion, carrot, celery and leek and cut into small evenly sized dice.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and soften the onion over a gentle heat for 5 minutes, then add the carrot, leek, celery, diced beetroot and bay leaf and cook until soft but not coloured.
3. After about 10-15 minutes add the stock and the peeled and diced potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes, then peel and crush garlic. Cook for another 10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
4. Add the vinegar, sugar, pepper and a pinch of salt and taste.
5. Either serve warm with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of dill, or for summer transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge for a few hours or over night before serving with sour creme or creme fraiche.