Fennel & Orange Pickle
Pickled Fennel with Chilli and Orange was the winner of our 2017 Great Aspall Pickle Off competition. Our Marketing Manager, Amelia,
was inspired by a recipe from Kylee Newton's fantastic 'The Modern Preserver'. Scale down the number of chillies or
deseed them for a gentler pickle - or up the ante with some extras!
- Top and tail the fennel bulbs & cut off any stalks and leaves
- Thinly slice the fennel into strips.
- Finely chop (deseed if desired) the chillies.
- In a pan, combine all of the ingredients other than the fennel and simmer for 5 minutes making sure the sugar has dissolved
to create the brine.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Pack the fennel slices into dry sterilised jars & add the brine.
- Can be eaten within a few days or store sealed in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks to marinate.
- Keeps for up to 4-6 months unopened. Once opened, keep in the fridge and eat within 4 weeks.