Kimchi pancakes (kimchi-jeon) can be served as a snack, starter or side dish. Quick and easy, this lightly spicy Korean street food is deliciously crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. Serve the pancakes hot from the pan with a simple dipping sauce.
- Put the first six ingredients in a bowl, add two-thirds of the sliced spring onions, and mix well. You will get a thick, lumpy batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
- Put a frying pan on a medium-high heat, add the oil and once it’s sizzling, add a heaped dessertspoon of batter. Flatten it out into a rough circle about 7-8cm in diameter.
- Repeat with more spoons of batter – you will probably have to cook these in batches.
- After 2-3 minutes when the underside is browned, flip them over and cook the other side.
- Remove to a plate lined with kitchen paper and continue until you’ve used all the batter. Arrange on a serving plate,
garnish with the remaining spring onion and serve with the dipping sauce alongside.
Recipe credit: Made in East Anglia