Kylee Newton's Quick Pickled Carrots
- Make your brine* by placing all of the ingredients into a pan and gently simmer until the sugar and salt has dissolved and the brine has infused for 5 minutes.
- Put aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Wash the carrots and prep;
- If using baby carrots peel but leave on their stalk green tops.
- If using normal carrots peel and cut in to1cm thick batons, about 10-12cm in length (or the length of the carrot or jar height).
- Alternatively slice the carrots into ½ cm thick diagonal disc’s, however you want them presented when serving.
- Arrange into your clean jar and top up with the warm brine, making sure the brine is completely covering the vegetables. Tap out any bubbles and top up with brine.
- Quick pickles are usually ready to eat in 10-12 hours and need to be kept in the fridge. They can be stored like this up to 3-4 weeks.
*Please note that the brine quantity will vary on the size of the carrots used, or how they are cut (if cut). Make enough to cover, working with a 3 part vinegar to 2 part water to 1 part sugar rati.
Kylee's tips for eating: After the carrots have pickled for at least 10 hours, remove from the brine and roast in a hot oven then serve in a salad of rocket, feta, toasted flaked almonds and a wheat like pearl barley or bulgar. Finished off with a lemony dressing, salt and pepper to season.