Lizzie's Date & Marrow Chutney
- In a heavy based pan – a jam pan is good – tip in the chopped marrows, dates, onions and tomatoes and heat.
- Once it starts to bubble add 500ml of the cyder vinegar and bring back up to simmering temperature. You can leave it in this bubbling state for a half hour or so; it certainly does not benefit from being watched.
- The marrow will have softened up nicely by this point, and once it has add the ginger, all spice, pepper and salt and the rest of the vinegar.
- Bring back up to a trembling simmer and add the sugar.
- Leave it gently bubbling away giving it an occasional stir. As the liquid evaporates the chutney will start to thicken up. Keep tasting for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Once you have hit a chutney consistency to your liking – for me that is when it will slide gracefully off a spoon – take off the heat, transfer into sterilized jars and seal. The chutney should keep for at least 9 months.
Thanks to Henry's wife, Lizzie for sharing this recipe with us.