Simple to make and simply delicious to eat. These can add an extra punch to any cheese board, and these apples can even liven up even the dullest cold pork left overs.
- In a small pan heat the vinegar, water, sugar and salt until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot (not boiling.)
- Halve the apples and de-core then slice thinly with a mandolin (please use a guard.) Pack them in alternate coloured layers in a pre-prepared sterilised jar.
- Pour over the vinegar mixture, add the vanilla pod, star anise and the peppercorns.
- Close the lid and put in the fridge. The apples will be ready to the eat the next day.
- They will lose their colour but will be perfectly good to eat for two weeks. Great with cheese and pork.