Pickled Mixed Vegetables
A brilliant way to use up any old veg. These pickled veg are a great addition to any picnic food and to a lovely summer salad or even just as a quick snack!
- Pour the water into a large non-metallic bowl with the salt and stir until the salt has dissolved.
- Prepare the vegetables. Break the cauliflower into small florets. Top and tail the beans and the spring onions and cut to the same height as the jar. Peel the carrots. De-seed the red pepper, cut out any inner pith and cut into thickish slices. You only need to cut the beans and onions to the same height of the jar if you want to arrange them as in the photograph, otherwise just cut them in half.
- Put the vegetables into the salt water and cover with a tea-towel. Leave overnight.
- The next day drain and rinse the vegetables in fresh cold water and dry them on some sheets of paper towel.
- Pack or arrange them into a sterilised preserving jar.
- Pour over the vinegar and pickling spices, making sure the vegetables are covered. Close the lid, keep somewhere warm like a kitchen shelf for two days before putting the jar in the fridge for another 5 days before eating. They will keep for about 12 weeks in the fridge.