- Wash and quarter the cabbage, discard the core and slice across into 2.5 cm strips. Place in a bowl with 2 tbsp sea salt and massage the salt into the leaves. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Whisk together the chilli paste, vinegar, sugar, crushed garlic, grated ginger and fish sauce.
- Rinse the cabbage thoroughly under the cold tap and drain well, squeezing out excess water. Place in a clean glass or china bowl with the carrots, radishes, spring onion and chives.
- Put on a pair of clean rubber gloves and add the chilli mixture, massaging it in well. Pack into a Kilner jar, leaving a few centimetres head space, and ferment at room temperature overnight before refrigerating.
- It will be ready to eat next day but the flavours will continue to develop with time.
The kimchi keeps in the fridge for two weeks.
Recipe credit: Made in East Anglia