Sweet & spicy pickled shallots
There are many people who find pickled onions a challenging eat; these sweet and spiced pickled shallots have a great sweet sour balance and a little spicy heat that make them incredibly moreish and super approachable.
- Day 1: Top and tail the shallots and then peel them. Cover the shallots in plenty of dry table salt and leave overnight - this will ensure they stay crunchy once pickled.
- Day 2: Rinse the shallots well and leave to dry.
- Mix the vinegar, sea salt, chilli flakes and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil for 30 seconds and take off the heat.
- Meanwhile, drop the cloves and ginger sticks in to your jar, and then add the shallots until the jar is full.
- Strain the chilli flakes out through a sieve, and then pour the hot vinegar mix over the onions and seal.
These should be ready to eat after 2 weeks & will keep for 6-9 months.