Built by local craftsmen in 1728, The Cyder House at Aspall still houses Clement Chevallier’s original mill and press.
The heavy granite wheel and trough so critical to the process of cyder making were brought by ship to Ipswich from the Ilses de Chausse off the Normandy coast. From there, heavy horses were required to bring both to Aspall, a journey that took 3 days and is logged in “Clement’s book” as costing £6 – a princely sum in those days. The original press is a masterpiece of craftsmanship; built from wood off the estate it was in continual use until 1971; sadly, the stone wheel and trough were last used to mill the apples in 1947, when the last press horse died and a small petrol powered dicing machine was installed. The Cyder House remains a constant reminder of the past and the traditions and philosophy laid down by Clement and his descendants.