70g plain flour
30g rice flour* (or use 100g plain flour in total)
½ tspn Maldon sea salt 125g Quick Kimchi, roughly chopped
3 tbsp kimchi brine
3 tbsp water
3 spring onions, green and white parts, finely sliced
2 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil, for frying
For the dipping sauce:
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar
1 tspn sugar
½ tspn sesame oil
*The rice flour, if you can get it, gives them a bit of extra crispiness but it’s not essential.
- Put the first six ingredients in a bowl, add two-thirds of the sliced spring onions, and mix well. You will get a thick, lumpy batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
- Put a frying pan on a medium-high heat, add the oil and once it’s sizzling, add a heaped dessertspoon of batter. Flatten it out into a rough circle about 7-8cm in diameter.
- Repeat with more spoons of batter – you will probably have to cook these in batches.
- After 2-3 minutes when the underside is browned, flip them over and cook the other side.
- Remove to a plate lined with kitchen paper and continue until you’ve used all the batter. Arrange on a serving plate, garnish with the remaining spring onion and serve with the dipping sauce alongside.
Recipe credit: Made in East Anglia