400ml Aspall organic cyder vinegar
50g Billington’s golden granulated sugar
1 orange rind, finely sliced (no pith) or long zest
1 lemon rind, finely sliced (no pith) or long zest
2 limes (zest & juice)
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp Maldon sea salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp chilli flakes
3 medium fennel’s (bulb, stalks, leaves)
3 x 500ml Kilner jars
- Make your brine by placing all of the ingredients into a pan and gently warm until the sugar and salt has dissolved and the brine has infused and then cool to room temperature.
- Wash the fennel, cut off the stalks and leaves and mandolin slice the whole bulbs into 2-3mm thin strips. Chop up the stalks and keep the leaves.
- Arrange the sliced bulbs with the chopped stalks and leaves neatly into sterilised jars to about 1cm from the top rim of the jar. Fill each jar with the brine making sure you cover the fennel completely.
- Tap out any trapped air bubbles and refill with the brine until about ½ cm from the jars rim and seal.
- Will keep unopened for 4-6 months. Once open keep refrigerated and eat within 4-5 weeks.
Thank you to Kylee Newton for creating this exclusive recipe for us.