2 beetroot, about 500g trimmed weight
250ml Aspall cyder vinegar
50g Billington’s golden granulated sugar
20g fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
1 medium-hot red chilli, left whole, slit along one side
1 tbsp coriander seeds
½ tspn Bart’s peppercorns (pink or black)
1 tspn Maldon sea salt
2 Bart’s lime leaves, shredded
500ml kilner jar
- Top and tail and peel the beetroot (you might want to wear clean rubber gloves for this). Using a mandolin grater or a sharp knife and a steady hand, cut the beetroot horizontally into wafer thin slices. Pack into the Kilner jar.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a saucepan and heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, pour the spiced vinegar over the beetroot and seal the jar.
- Once cooled, refrigerate for at least 24 hours before eating.
- The pickle will keep in the fridge for two weeks.
Recipe credit: Made in East Anglia