Roast butternut squash, chicory and goat’s cheese salad
This salad is not a traditional combination of lettuce but rather it uses sweet butternut squash alongside mild and bitter chicory leaves, soft goat’s cheese and crunchy walnuts. Apple cyder vinegar with honey adds acidity and sweetness and complementing the punchy combination of flavours. Nutritionally it’s ticking many boxes but boring it isn’t!
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Put the sliced butternut squash on a roasting tray, drizzle with rapeseed oil, sprinkle over the rosemary, throw in the unpeeled garlic cloves, season generously with sea salt and black pepper, stir well to combine and roast in the oven for 30 minutes until fully cooked and soft. Tip the walnuts on top for the last 10 minutes of roasting time. This will give them more flavour and crunch. Set aside to cool slightly (or completely).
- To serve, put half of the butternut squash slices, walnuts and chicory leaves on a plate.
- Drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil and around 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of cyder vinegar with honey. Top with half of the goat’s cheese and chives.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to create the second plate of food.