Toffee Apple and Cyder Cake
Try this amazing Toffee Apple and Cyder Cake created by Seasoned Cookery School.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160 fan/ Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a 9” cake tin with non stick silicone paper.
- Sift the flour and ground cinnamon together into a bowl and set aside.
- Place the dates and cider into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer until the dates are soft (this should take around 5-10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool. Add the dates to a small food processor and pulse until you are left with small chunks of dates (you don’t want the mix to be completely smooth).
- Meanwhile, using an electric hand whisk, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy (this should take around 5 minutes).
- Gradually add the eggs a little at a time and continually mix together. If the mixture begins to curdle, add a spoonful of flour to bring the mixture back to a smooth consistency.
- Once all of the eggs have been added, fold in the cinnamon flour mix until incorporated. Fold in the grated apple, toffee pieces and cooled date mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and place in the oven to bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly in the tin, before fully removing from the tin and leaving to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare your toffee cider sauce. Add all of the sauce ingredients to a saucepan and heat until the butter and sugar have melted.
- Simmer and stir until the sauce has thickened and is the desired colour and consitency. Keep warm and poor over a slice of the cooled cake!